Caribbean Rice and Beans
Do you love Caribbean food? Then you need to learn how to make this delicious and fantastic caribbean red beans and rice recipe. You can substitute beans with peas if you want to. Rice and beans recipes are a popular meal in many Caribbean and Latin cuisine, since they’re both healthy and cheap. Beans are a good source of protein, carbohydrates, and can help you with your digestion.
What’s better is that you can spruce up this dish by adding many flavors and spices to it, like coconut milk, scotch bonnet peppers (another staple in Caribbean cooking), thyme, onions, and garlic. You can skip the pepper if you’re not a big fan of spicy food. On the other hand, you can include a whole pepper in your beans and rice recipes since scotch bonnet peppers give off the perfect amount of heat without it being too powerful for the palate. You can also chop up the pepper into small pieces and mix it into your rice if you want to kick it up a notch.
- 1 can of light coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons of seasalt
- 1 cup of white rice, preferably long grain
- A tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoon of allspice
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 can of drained red kidney beans or black beans
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 teaspoon of thyme leaves
- 2 cups of water or chicken stock
- Rinse the rice until the water is clear, and then drain the water.
- Pour in ¾ cup of coconut milk, 1 and ¼ cup of water, ¼ teaspoon of salt, and the rice in a saucepan and start boiling.
- Lower heat, cover it up, and simmer for 20 minutes.
How to Cook the Caribbean Rice and Beans:
- Take a large skillet and heat up the coconut oil.
- Put in the scotch bonnet pepper, onions, and garlic and stir until the onions are translucent.
- Afterwards, mix in the cayenne, cinnamon, allspice, and the remaining salt and cook for a minute – Make sure to stir occasionally.
- Stir in the beans, remaining coconut milk, ½ cup of water and simmer over medium high heat.
- Reduce to medium heat and simmer for eight minutes. If the mixture is too thick, then add a cup of water.
- Remove from heat and add in the thyme and coconut rice.
- A Large Skillet
- A Large Pot