Escovitch Fish is a traditional dish in the Caribbean, served for breakfast and commonly made on holidays such as Good Friday. Fried escovitch fish or Escoveitched style fish is seasoned, fried and marinated in pepper-like vinegar dressing that is paired with vegetables such as carrots, bell peppers and onions.
Since king fish and red snapper are in abundance, generally they are used for this distinctive dish. It is typically served with fried dumplings, Bammy which is a traditional cassava flatbread or with hard dough bread.
This recipe is easy to prepare and cook. It can also be enjoyed hot or cold. This wonderful Escovitch Fish dish is ideal for dinner, barbeques and picnics or for a special occasion. For a full bodied flavor, this favorite food can be prepared in advanced. Moreover, after it is prepared it can be stored at room temperature in an air tight container for up to two days. This is because the vinegar acts like a natural preservative.
- 4 fish filets, whole red snapper or king fish
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon or lime
- Oil for frying
- ½ of green bell pepper, julienned
- ½ of red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 onion, sliced in rings
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
- 5 stems of fresh cilantro, optional
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- ½ scotch bonnet pepper or red chili pepper, chopped (seeds removed)
- Start preparing the fish the day before. Scale and clean the fish then season with salt and pepper to taste. Place in a bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Pat the fish dry with kitchen towel or an absorbent kitchen paper. Drizzle a few drops of lemon or lime juice over the fish. In a large frying pan, heat oil on high temperature. Add fish and fry each side for three to five minutes or until crisp. Place fish on paper towel to drain oil, that way the fish will not be greasy. Then place the fish in a 9×13 glass-baking pan. You may need two baking dishes, depending on the size of the filets.
- To make the marinade, add vinegar (or lemon juice) bell peppers, chile peppers, carrots, onions and garlic to a saucepan. Add salt and pepper to taste plus cilantro if desired. Over medium heat, bring the mixture to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook until onions are done. Remove pan from heat and allow the mixture to cool.
- Pour the marinade over the fish. Refrigerate for at least one hour. Remember, the longer the fish marinates the better flavor it will have.
- To serve, put the fish on a platter. Arrange the vegetables around the fish and pour the marinade sauce over the top. Now you have successfully cooked an Escovitch Fish!
- Porgies, mullet or other firm-bodied fish can be used successfully in this amazing dish.
- Large frying pan, preferably cast iron
- 9×13 glass-baking
- Large saucepan for marinade
Escovitch Fish Nutrition Facts :
Based on 200 grams serving size, it should yield 185 calories, 8.2 grams of fat (1.3g saturated fat), 6.5g Carbohydrates and 20g of Protein. To cut it short, this Escovitch Fish Recipe should give you a healthy meal for you and your family! Cooking Escovitch Fish is what you will do now