Meat Loaf Recipe
Meat loaf is a standby recipe in many homes, and the Caribbean is no exception. It is a savory dish that is made mostly from ground meats like beef, turkey or pork. The most popular version is made with beef. There are also binders added to hold the tender ground meat together such as eggs, cracker crumbs crackers, crushed bread crumbs and grain cereals.
Traditional meatloaf includes other ingredients for extra texture, flavor and delectable goodness – chopped vegetables like onions, mushrooms or green bell peppers. The mixture is generally pressed into a bread loaf and then baked to perfection. In addition, many meatloaves have a tomato like sauce on the top.
Caribbean meat loaf has a different twist on this delicious meal. It is delectably flavored with tropical fruits like mango chutney and pineapple, seasoned with Caribbean jerk seasoning and yellow mustard plus topped again with pineapple. It is a great alternative to the traditional meatloaf that can sometimes be mundane. Not only is it very moist from the perfect fillers and basting but the seasoning adds the ideal Caribbean festive taste.
Prep 15 min
Cook time 55 min
Total time 1 hour 10 min
Ingredients of Meat Loaf
- 11/2 lbs. lean ground beef (*see note)
- 3/4 cup thick oats (old-fashioned)
- 3/4 cup regular oats
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup catsup
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (*see note)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- Dash fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple (reserve juices)
- 1 – 1 ¼ cup mango chutney, to taste
- 1 jalapeno chilies or scotch bonnet pepper, chopped fine and omit seeds, (optional)
- 1 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped (or cilantro)
Preparation of Meat Loaf
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the meat, oats, onion, catsup, egg, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, Caribbean jerk seasoning, mint and salt and pepper to taste. Mix lightly but thoroughly. Over mixing meatloaf will make it tough.
- Shape the meatloaf mixture into a 10×6-inch loaf pan. Bake 30 minutes.
- While meatloaf is baking, drain pineapple. Reserve juice. In a large bowl, mix pineapple, mango chutney, jalapeño pepper and mint. Combine well.
- Remove meatloaf from oven. Spoon 1/2 cup of pineapple and chutney mixture over the top of the meatloaf.
- Place the meatloaf back into the oven. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until meatloaf is done. For medium doneness (160° F for beef, 170°F for turkey), the center and juices should not be pink in color.
- Allow the meatloaf to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Serve hot with remaining pineapple mixture.
Variations of the Meat Loaf Recipe
- If desired, you can substitute 1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey for the ground beef.
- You can substitute the Worcestershire sauce with tamari or soy sauce.
- Other great variations are
Best Cookware to Use
Large bowl for mixing
10×6-inch glass baking loaf pan
Leave A Comment